Spa Trenčianske Teplice
The company Kúpele Trenčianske Teplice, a.s. is one of the oldest and most visited spas in Slovakia. It is mainly thanks to the excellent natural sulfurous thermal water and its romantic location. Medical care in the Trenčianske Teplice a.s. has long tradition (the first written reference of the spa is from 1247) and it is based primarily on the use of natural sulfurous thermal water. Currently, in addition to thermal water, a wide range of medical methods in the field of curative rehabilitation and physiotherapy is used. The spa is specialized in the treatment and prevention of musculoskeletal diseases, conditions after operations and injuries, chronic rheumatic diseases in some lifestyle diseases, occupational diseases and psoriasis.
History of Spa
The healing springs in the area of the current spa were according to legend discovered by a lame shepherd looking for a stray sheep. When searching for the sheep, he found a lake, from which a sulfuric odor was spreading. After a few baths, he noticed that the sheep was getting better, so he decided to immerse his aching limbs in the warm waters of the lake. The reputation of miraculous water thus began to spread. Suffering ill people came from all sides to bathe in the healing waters of the springs.
The first record of the hot springs is from 1247. During the thirteenth to sixteenth century, Trenčianske Teplice, as well as the springs, were owned by the rulers of the Trenčín Castle. Although it is assumed that the springs should have already been known to the Quad nations as well as the Roman legions in the 2nd century. The greatest contribution to the development of spa in Trenčianske Teplice was brought by the llésházy family who owned the spa for 241 years. At those times, it was one of the leading spas in Austrian – Hungarian Monarchy.
In 1835 the spa was bought by a Viennese financier George Sina, who rebuilt it and modernized it. His son Simon built a hotel and expanded the spa park, in 1888 his daughter Iphigenia let the most valuable historical monument preserved to this day, the Hammam spa in oriental Moorish style build to the mirror room Sina.
Hammam was used in the past as a tub bath for the rich nobility and financial magnates. Today it is available not only to our guests but also for general public. Guests of the spa use it as a place for relaxation and massages. Its pleasant surroundings, beauty and exotic nature of the interior can recharge an exhausted body with new energy, and thus multiply the positive effects of unique therapeutic springs.
History of Hamman
of this major construction began at time when the former owner of the spa – Iphigenia de Castries d'Harcourt, saw the model of a luxurious Turkish bath at the World Exhibition in Paris. She was mesmerized by it. Therefore she traveled to Egypt and asked the viceroy Izmail for permission to build a Hammam also in Trenčianske Teplice. Izmail accepted her request and sent his court architect along with her to Trenčianske Teplice. Hammam, which in Arabic means a bath, was finished in 1888 and the building was unprecedented in Europe.
The first thing that surprises visitors, when they enter the Hammam hall, is its illumination with three domes with glazed holes, creating the impression of the starry sky. On the walls, the architect Schmoranz arranged two colored roses according to church roses. Each part of the gallery railing is carved from a single piece of stone; in the middle of the hall a marble fountain is placed. Lines of arabesques coil into three domes, which form the arch of the whole structure. Two rows of columns carved from mild sandstone separate the Hammam hall from the relaxing cabins, tiled with decorative tiles, on every second cabin can be found a monogram of Iphigenia de Castries. Today, Hammam serves for the spa guests as a resting place after taking a bath, massages are also provided here. It is open to everyone - as a place for spa procedures, as well as an interesting historical monument. Everybody who recovered and will recover in Trenčianske Teplice Hammam can recall a famous quote: ”There is a greater happiness than to be healthy and that is - to recover.”
Company Kúpele Trenčianske Teplice, a.s. is a joint stock company established in 1995 under its original title Slovenské liečebné kúpele (the Slovak Health Spa). Its main activity is to provide comprehensive medical and spa care to domestic patients and those from abroad, as well as other related hospitality services. Modernized spa facilities offer a comprehensive year-round spa care of a high medical level to patients from Slovakia and abroad. In order to provide a comprehensive spa treatment, the company uses mainly natural healing resources and climatic conditions suitable for treatment, in accordance with the guidelines of medical department of physiotherapy and medical rehabilitation and other related medical disciplines, and develops these disciplines in the local natural medical conditions. In addition, it provides accommodation, meals and other non-medical services related with complete spa procedures in accordance with the principles of professional medical treatment facilities. For this reason, it ensures development and protection of natural healing resources and the maintenance and creation of a spa environment. The entire company has implemented the system of quality.